Colorado Court of Appeals Judge Carparelli to retire
Application deadline Nov. Nov. 12, 2013.
The Supreme Court Nominating Commission invites qualified attorneys to apply for a Colorado Court of Appeals judgeship created by the retirement of the Honorable Russell E. Carparelli, effective Dec. 15, 2013. The Commission will meet on Monday, Dec. 2 and Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013, at the Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center (2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203) to interview applicants and select nominees for appointment by the governor.
To be eligible for appointment to fill a vacancy, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the State of Colorado and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The annual salary for a court of appeals judge is currently $138,957. The initial term of office of a Court of Appeals judge is a provisional term of two years. Thereafter, the incumbent judge, if retained by the voters, has a term of eight years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex-officio chair of the Nominating Commission, Chief Justice Michael L. Bender, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the District Administrator of any of the 22 judicial districts. Applications are also available on the court’s home page at: www.courts.state.co.us/exec/media/vacancy.htm
An electronic copy of the application in PDF format must be received by the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013. See the instructions below for more details. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex-officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013.
Applications will be kept confidential, except that the nominating commission shall disclose the names, work addresses, and work telephone numbers of those nominees submitted to the Governor.
The members of the nominating commission for the Supreme Court Nominating Commission are: Richard Holme and Sr. Alicia Cuarón, 1st Congressional District; Lamar Sims and Ann Hendrickson; 2nd Congressional District; Kim Childs and Mary Stengel, 3rd Congressional District; Scott Johnson and Ira Paulin, 4th Congressional District; Richard Celeste and Eric Hall, 5th Congressional District; April Jones and Bruce Alexander, 6th Congressional District; Charles Tingle and Olivia Mendoza, 7th Congressional District and Dorothy Decker, at large.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members
Richard “Dick” Holme, 1550 17th St., Suite 500, Denver, CO 80202
Sr. Alicia Cuarón, 2830 Lawrence St., Denver, CO 80212
Ann Hendrickson, P.O. Box 2025, Broomfield, CO 80038-2025
Lamar Sims, 201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 801, Denver, CO 80202
Kim Childs, 248 Cottonwood St., Delta, CO 81416
Mary Stengel, 16 Carol Drive, Durango, CO 81301
Scott Johnson, 420 Sixth Ave., Box O, Greeley, CO 80632
Ira Paulin, P.O. Box 524, Holly, CO 81047
Eric Hall, 90 South Cascade Ave., Suite 1100, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Richard Celeste, 720 Crestfield Grove, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Bruce Alexander, 2000 S. Colorado Blvd., Tower 2-12th Floor, Denver, CO 80222
April Jones, 5690 DTC Blvd., Suite 230E, Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Charles Tingle, 500 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO 80401
Olivia Mendoza, 309 W. 1st Ave., Denver, CO 80223
Dorothy Decker, 6748 Hwy 62, Ridgway, CO 81432
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO APPELLATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). Your signature is required on the paper copy, but not on the electronic document. Your application materials should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached at the end.
3. Please use plain white paper and do not change the margins or font size on the application.
4. You may submit letters of reference from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application, or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they do not need to send an electronic document nor do they need to send multiple copies. If you include reference letters with your application, the original letter(s) must accompany your paper application and should also be attached to your PDF. Please attach reference letters at the end of your PDF.
5. Your application packet must include a writing sample of no more than 20 pages in length.
6. Your application should be submitted with the original electronic copy at the following address:
Supreme Court Nominating Commission
c/o Chief Justice Michael L. Bender, Ex Officio Chair
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
7. Your application must be filed no later than: (4 p.m. on November 12, 2013).
8. Call Cheryl in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5152.