Commission sets date to select nominees
Application deadline Nov. 18, 2013
The Eighth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Dec. 6, 2013, at the Larimer County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of county judge for Larimer County. The vacancy will be created by the resignation of the Honorable Christine A. Carney. The vacancy will occur on Dec. 31, 2013.
To be eligible for appointment to fill the vacancy, the applicant must be a qualified elector of Larimer County and must be admitted to the practice of law in Colorado. The current annual salary for this position is $127,497. The initial term of office of a county judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent county judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of four years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Gregory J. Hobbs, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Janelle Brunin, 201 La Porte Ave., Suite 100, Fort Collins, CO 80521. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored electronically as a PDF (please see instructions below for further details) must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Nov. 18, 2013. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. Nov. 12, 2013.
The members of the nominating commission for the Eighth Judicial District are: Michael Blanton of Walden; Jeffrey Swanty and Linda Hutchinson, both of Loveland; and Linda Miller, Jennifer Rice, Kermit Allard and Michael Liggett, all of Fort Collins.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members.
Michael Blanton, P.O. Box 870, Walden, CO 80480
Jeffrey Swanty, 1402 W. 28th St., #2, Loveland, CO 80538
Linda Hutchinson, 216 W. 4th St., Loveland, CO 80537
Linda Miller, 216 W. 4th St., Loveland, CO 80537
Jennifer Rice, 19 Old Town Square, Suite 238, Ft. Collins, CO 80524
Kermit Allard, 1321 Oakridge Drive, Ft. Collins, CO 80525
Michael Liggett, 425 W. Mulberry, Suite 112, Ft. Collins, CO 80521
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
3. You may submit letters of reference from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application, or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and it should be part included as part of your electronic application as well. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
4. Submit your original, signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Eighth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Gregory J. Hobbs
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
5. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on November 18, 2013.
6. Call Cheryl in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5152