Commission sets date to select nominees
Applications due no later than 4 p.m. March 3, 2014
The Thirteenth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet March 17, 2014, at the Logan County Combined Courts in Sterling to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of county judge for Logan County. The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Hon. Robert B. Smith. The vacancy will occur on April 30, 2014.
To be eligible for appointment to fill the vacancy, the applicant must be a qualified elector of Logan County and have graduated high school or attained the equivalent of a high school education as indicated by the Department of Education, based upon the record made on the General Education Development test. This is a 65 percent position and the annual salary is $82,873. The initial term of office of a county judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent county judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of four years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Gregory J. Hobbs Jr., 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Douglas Short, 110 N. Riverview Rd., Room 200, Sterling, CO 80751. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The original, completed application must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. March 3, 2014. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. Feb. 24, 2014.
The members of the nominating commission for the Thirteenth Judicial District are: Jeffrey Cure of Burlington, Kerri Hansen of Yuma, Thomas Ward of Sterling, David Garnas of Julesburg, Edward Zorn of Fort Morgan, Jerold Brandt of Holyoke, and Brigitte Shafer of Akron.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members
• Jerold Brandt, 246 S. Interocean, Holyoke, CO 80734
• Jeffrey Cure, 336 14th St., Burlington, CO 80807
• David Garnas, 900 Cedar St., Julesburg, CO 80737
• Kerri Hansen, 107 South Gum St., Yuma, CO 80759
• Thomas Ward, 214 S. 3rd St., Sterling, CO 80751
• Brigitte Shafer, 27736 CR 51, Akron, CO 80720
• Edward Zorn, 626 E. Platte Ave., Fort Morgan, CO 80701
This information is provided as an e-mail service of the Colorado State Judicial Branch, Office of State Court Administrator, 1300 Broadway, Suite 1200, Denver, CO 80203. To discontinue this service or update your e-mail address, please respond to this message with your name, contact information and any comments.
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, you may attach additional pages for each question at the end of the application. It is preferable that you use plain white paper. Do not use a font smaller than 12 pt. and do not make the margins smaller than 1”.
2. You must submit one original, signed and scanable application. Please do not use any sort of binder (no notebooks, covers or tabs). Do not use heavy-weight “resume” type paper.
3. You may submit original signed reference letters from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include these letters with your application, or have them sent to us directly. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the Ex Officio Chair on or before the application deadline. Letters received late may not receive consideration by the Commission.
4. Attach a copy of your resume to the application.
5. Your application and reference letters should be received at following address:
Thirteenth Judicial District Nominating Commission
Justice Gregory J. Hobbs, Jr., Ex Officio Chair
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
6. Your application must be received at the above address no later than 4 p.m. on March 3, 2014.
7. Call the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.