Commission sets date to select nominees
Applications due no later than 4 p.m. on Aug. 4, 2014
The Eighteenth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Aug. 18, 2014, at the Arapahoe County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of district judge for the Eighteenth Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln counties). The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Hon. Vincent R. White. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 13, 2015.
To be eligible for appointment to fill the vacancy, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Eighteenth Judicial District and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The annual salary for this position as of July 1, 2014, will be $145,219. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Monica M. Márquez, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Laurie McKager, Arapahoe County Justice Center, 7325 S. Potomac St., Centennial, CO 801112. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The original, signed application along with an identical copy stored electronically as a PDF file must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Aug. 4, 2014. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. July 28, 2014.
The members of the nominating commission for the Eighteenth Judicial District are: Fay Matsukage and Christine Niemann, Parker; Richard Suder, Elbert; Suzan Boyd and Candace Figa, Aurora; Jerry Monks, Limon; and Stanton Dodge, Greenwood Village.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members
Suzan Boyd, 1610 Jasper St., Aurora, CO 80011
Stanton Dodge, 9601 S. Meridian Blvd., Englewood, CO 80112
Fay Matsukage, 455 Sherman St., Suite 300, Denver, CO 80203
Jerry Monks, 51300 C.R. 20.5, Limon, CO 80828
Christine Niemann, 303 W. Colfax, Denver, CO 80204
Richard Suder, 6002 C.R. 106, Elbert, CO 80106
Candace Figa, 6400 S. Fiddlers Green Cir., #1000, Greenwood Village, CO 80111
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should use only the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application, or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and it should be part included as part of your electronic application as well. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Eighteenth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Monica M. Márquez
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, CO 80203
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on Aug. 4, 2014.
7. Call the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5150.