Commission sets date to select nominees
The Tenth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet August 12, 2014, at 501 N. Elizabeth, 5th Floor, Administration Wing, Pueblo, CO 81003, to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of district judge for the Tenth Judicial District (Pueblo County). The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Honorable Victor Reyes. The vacancy will occur on December 31, 2014.
To be eligible for appointment to fill the vacancy, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Tenth Judicial District and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. As of July 1, 2014, the annual salary for this position is $145,219. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice William W. Hood, III, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Bobbi Griffin, 501 N. Elizabeth, Pueblo, CO 81003. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
An original signed application along with an identical copy stored electronically as a PDF file must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. July 29, 2014. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. July 22, 2014.
The members of the nominating commission for the Tenth Judicial District are: David Abeyta, James Croshal, Patrick Garcia, Christopher Burke, Louis Carleo, and James Whitmire, all of Pueblo; and Sharon Swerdfeger of Pueblo West.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members
David Abeyta, 4 Donnington St., Pueblo, CO 81005
James Croshal, 201 W. 8th St., Pueblo, CO 81003
Patrick Garcia, 215 W. Second St., Pueblo, CO 81003
Christopher Burke, 105 S. Victoria Ave., Pueblo, CO 81003
Louie Carleo, 503 N. Main St., Suite 5, Pueblo, CO 81003
James Whitmire, 701 Court, St., 1st Floor, Pueblo, CO 81003
Sharon Swerdfeger,421 E. Industrial Blvd., Pueblo West, CO 81007
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). Your signature is not required on the electronic copy.
4. You may submit letters of reference from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application, or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and it should be part included as part of your electronic application as well. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Tenth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice William W. Hood, III, Ex Officio Chair
2 E. 14th Avenue
Denver, Colorado 80203
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on July 29, 2014.
7. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.