Seventh Judicial District announces two District Court vacancies
Commission sets date to select nominees
Applications due no later than 4 p.m. on July 31, 2014.
The Seventh Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet at the Montrose County Justice Center on Aug. 19 and if necessary, Aug. 20, 2014, to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to two district judgeships for the Seventh Judicial District (Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray and San Miguel counties). The vacancies will be created by the retirements of the Hon. Charles R. Greenacre and the Hon. James W. Schum. The vacancies will occur on Jan. 13, 2015.
To be eligible for appointment to fill the vacancies, applicants must be qualified electors of the Seventh Judicial District and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The current annual salary for these positions is $145,219. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Allison H. Eid, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Thomas Maxwell, Montrose County Justice Center, 1200 N. Grand Ave., Montrose, CO 81401. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The original, signed application along with an identical copy stored electronically as a PDF file must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. July 31, 2014. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. July 24, 2014.
The members of the nominating commission for the Seventh Judicial District are: Tina McGuinness and Pamela Montgomery of Gunnison; Kevin Geiger of Telluride; Erin Cavit of Lake City; David Masters of Montrose; William Raley of Delta; and Andrew Mueller of Ridgway.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members
Tina McGuinness, 101 North 8th St., Gunnison, CO 81230
David Masters, 152 Colorado Avenue, Montrose, CO 81401
William Raley, 935 Pioneer Road, Delta, CO 81416
Erin Cavit, P.O. Box 307, Lake City, CO 81235
Andrew Mueller, P.O. Box 646, Ouray, CO 81427-0646
Kevin Geiger, P.O. Box 3432, Telluride, CO 81435
Pamela Montgomery, P.O. Box 935, Gunnison, CO 81230
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from up to five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application, or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and it should be part included as part of your electronic application as well. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Seventh Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Allison H. Eid
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on July 31, 2014.
7. Call the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5150.