October 7, 1998
The Disability Law Forum Committee met in the offices of the Colorado Bar Association. Present were Ellen Buckley, Joe de Raismes, Iris Bell, Claire Williamson, Michael Breeskin, Kevin Williams, Michael Valdez, Daniel Gallagher, James Dean, Jim Carr and James Noel.
1. Ann Castle of Holland & Hart gave a presentation on her firm's experience handling over 30 pro bono SSI reconsiderations for disabled children who had been terminated when the eligibility rules changed. They were able to keep about 75% of their clients on SSI.
2. The September minutes were approved, with the deletion of the sentence "After Joe left, the committee voted that Joe should do the summarizing."
3. Kevin reported that the convention program was well received, although the audience was small. Next year we will probably present Hot Topics in Disability Law again but restrict the presentation to two or three topics, as four was too many to cover in the time allowed.
4. Legislative bills - Kevin and Ellen will screen bills and send them to particular committee members with a request to do a summary and presentation at the next meeting. Bills or link to bills can be emailed to members who wish to receive them electronically. Hard copies of short bills will be mailed before the meeting.
5. November meeting - Kevin will present a one-hour CLE on Current Trends in Disability Law.
6. December meeting - We will invite speakers from CCDC, MHA, DHS and Health Care Policy and Finance to discuss legislation they will be tracking this session.
Submitted by Ellen Buckley, Co-chair