Mesa County Access to Justice Committee (21st Judicial District)
Leslie J. Castro
Leslie J. Castro, P.C.
101 S. 3rd Street, Suite 300
Grand Junction, CO 81501
Mesa County ATJ Members
Meetings of the MCATJ are, generally, the first Tuesday of every month at the Mesa County Justice Center, Courtroom 6. Meetings are open, but due to time limitations, guests attend by invitation from, or request to, one of our members.
FREE LEGAL ASSISTANCE IN MESA COUNTY
• CRIMINAL CASES(District and County Court cases where jail is a possibility). Colorado Public Defender, 114 N. Spruce St., Ste. 300, Grand Junction, CO 81501, (970) 245-9122. Please educate yourself on your legal rights in criminal cases by clicking on one of the following links (English and español):
Know your Rights
Know your Rights (esp)
• CIVIL CASES(domestic violence cases involving divorce or children’s issues; unemployment, landlord-tenant (public and private housing) public benefits cases, collection defense, elder law, social security, temporary and permanent protection orders – for low income people). Colorado Legal Services, 200 N. 6th St., Suite 203, Grand Junction, CO 81501, (970) 243-7940. The toll free application line is 1-877-304-1445. The website for CLS is: http://coloradolegalservices.org/co/homepage.html
• OTHER CIVIL CASESThe Pro Bono Project of Mesa County, Inc. works closely with Colorado Legal Services in providing legal services to low-income Mesa County residents. To prevent duplication of services, the applicant must first complete an application with Colorado Legal Services. CLS will refer cases to the Pro Bono Project based on a number of factors, including case merit, urgency of legal problem, and those who are ineligible for assistance from CLS because their needs were not appropriate to CLS priorities or if a conflict exists. Typically the Pro Bono Project assists those eligible with the following matters: protection orders, divorce with domestic violence, landlord/tenant, and consumer law. We also provide workshops on divorce, child custody, modification and contempt and bankruptcy. Pro Bono Project 200 N. 6th St., Ste. 203, Grand Junction, CO 81501, (970) 243-7940, ext. 108. The website for Pro Bono is http://www.probonomc.org/
• CHILD SUPPORT(paternity, child support establishment and enforcement). Mesa County Department of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement Unit, 510 29 1/2 Rd., Grand Junction, Colorado 81502, (970) 248-2780.
• FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR FAMILIES. For free assistance with mortgage repayment, and debt, student loan or tax relief, please click on the following document: Financial Assistance for Families