August 23, 2005
Colorado Alliance for Cruelty Prevention
Present: Theresa Abeytha, Andy Archuleta, Kay Dahlinger, Leo DiVigil, Mary Toornman, Doug Kelley, John Cohen, Carrie King, Barbara Riedell, Ben Riedell, Joan Casey, Jan Mickish, Guido Gonzalez-Lewis, Kate Arganese, Kathleen Schoen, Monique. Call-In: Marie Wheatley.
I. Update on Scheduled Trainings
A. Summit County
1. Kay Dahlinger discussed the upcoming Summit County Training that will be held on September 12, 2005. It will be a full-day training, beginning at 9 a.m. and ending at 4 p.m.
2. Over 10 members of the CACP committee are planning on attending.
B. Municipal Court Judges Training
1. Kathleen Schoen and Jan Mickish discussed the training that will take place on September 30, 2005.
2. Members from the CACP are encouraged to attend if they have time.
3. Briefly mentioned that Guido Gonzalez-Lewis also has an upcoming training: COVA.
II. Animal Assistance Foundation Grant
A. Remaining $5000
1. Kathleen informed the committee that the CACP still has $5000 reserved for travel around the state to market LINK and other CACP Trainings. The committee is looking for any suggestions or contacts in areas that they have not yet visited.
a. Joan Casey suggested Montrose as a possible place to market the LINK Trainings. She will be emailing Kate Arganese, Kathleen’s Assistant, all the contact information she has for that area.
b. Carrie King suggested the CAFCA as a possibility. The Reidell’s offered to help Carrie rearrange her slide show in order to shorten it.
c. There will be a LINK Training coming-up in Boulder County and a divert team from Colorado Springs will be attending. CACP plans to market the trainings to them.
d. Joan suggested Fort Morgan as a possibility. Fort Morgan has already begun trying to create a LINK-like Training of their own.
e. Kathleen thinks that Grand Junction and Durango areas might be good places to market to and Joan offered to provide her with contacts for that area. Also, Kath discussed marketing to LINK Trainings to Pueblo. Kath will discuss this idea with Judge Bill Alexander from Pueblo at a later date.
III. Review Brochure
A. The committee suggested that we add the American Humane’s web address to the list of resources. Also, they suggested being able to include local information for each county.
1. Mary Toornman, Doug Kelley, Joan Casey, and Kay Dahlinger all want Kate to send them a PDF copy via email.
B. Upon further review, the committee feels that the brochure needs more adjusting. Kate volunteered to make all the necessary adjustments.
IV. Review the Website
A. Copies of the website were passed out to members of the committee for review. Suggestions for improvement will be discussed at the next meeting.
V. Other Program Opportunities
A. September 12 and 13, 2005
1. Joan informed the committee that COFALA will have an Animal Welfare Symposium over these days. For more information, visit www.cofala.org.
B. September 21, 2005
1. Marie Wheatley informed the committee that the American Humane Society will be holding it’s annual conference over this day. For more information, visit www.americanhumane.org.
C. October 10, 2005
1. Marie informed the committee that the American Humane Society will hold a training this day with Phil Arco as the speaker. It will be a Train-The-Trainer and later generations type of presentation. They can only hold about 60 people for the event.
2. Marie will email more information on the event to Kate, and Kate will distribute the info to CACP members.
A. Kathleen announced that the CBA and CACP will be receiving the Friendship Award from the Dumb Friends League on September 23, 2005. The committee is very honored, and hopes to continue their important work with the Dumb Friends League in the future.
VII. Next Meeting
A. The next meeting will be September 27, 2005, at 12 p.m. in the CLE Small Classroom at 1900 Grant Street, Third Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Carrie King volunteered to be the speaker at this meeting.