Not a CBA Member? Join Now!
Find A Lawyer Directory
Legal Directory
Professionalism Month

I Need A Lawyer


Do I qualify for a free lawyer?

Information if you don't qualify for a free lawyer

How to Choose and Use a Lawyer

Find Legal Information to help with your case:
Courts self-help center
Walk-in Clinics

Online Legal Information

Check Attorney Licensing

I have a fee dispute with my lawyer

I want to file a complaint against an attorney

I want to file a complaint about a judge






To qualify for a free lawyer, you must:

If you don't qualify for a free lawyer, find legal information here.

I qualify for a free lawyer. Now what?

If you need an attorney for a criminal matter:

Contact the Public Defender's office, 303-764-1400.

If you need an attorney for a civil matter (not criminal), check out:

Colorado Legal Services (CLS): Follow these steps:

  1. Check to see if CLS takes your type of case and the kind of cases they help with:
    • Family law: domestic violence, divorce, custody, guardianship and others;
    • Consumer/debt problems, including bankruptcy, garnishment, collection, repossession and others;
    • Housing law, including foreclosures in some but not all CLS offices, evictions, landlord/tenant issues and others;
    • Issues for seniors, including living wills, medical durable powers of attorney, and more;
    • Problems with programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, and other government benefits;
    • Other civil (not criminal or traffic) problems; and
    • Immigration: We can help citizens and those who are (1) present in the U.S. and (2) have an acceptable "category" of immigration. These categories are complicated and assessed on a case by case basis, but include Lawful Permanent Residents and Asylees, among other categories. These are all the types of cases that CLS handles. Some offices do not handle all types of cases because of limited resources. Please call your local office for details about the types of cases currently being accepted.
    • Also, CLS may be able to help you with: Advice from an attorney about your problem; Help you file your own case in court; Refer you to a legal aid clinic, or to another program or agency that can help you.
  2. If you think CLS may take your type of case, fill out the on-line intake form or call your local office


I don't qualify for a free lawyer. Now what?

Don't worry, there are still many resources available to help with your legal matter.

  • Start by searching the Colorado Bar Association Find a Lawyer directory. This directory contains every licensed attorney that is a member of the Colorado Bar Association. Search the directory by legal matter, location, name, and more.
  • Moderate Income Lists: Some Self-help centers have a list of lawyers who are willing to work with clients around fees. Every lawyer has their own way of doing this. Some may work with you to only do part of the work, and others may set up a payment schedule. Get the list from the Self-help Center at the courthouse where your case is filed. Then call some attorneys to see if you can work with any of them.
  • Criminal matters: Contact the Public Defender’s Office gives some referrals for people with criminal warrants or traffic matters. Give them a call at 303-764-1400 or online at


Where can I find some legal help with my case?


Legal Information:

  • Courts self-help center:
  • Walk-in Clinics
    (*Note: If the district is not listed below, there is currently no walk-in center available.*)
    • 1st Judicial District (Jefferson and Gilpin counties)
      100 Jefferson County Pkwy, Golden, CO 80401
      Hours Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
    • 2nd Judicial District (Denver county)
      Denver District Court
      1437 Bannock Street, Room 368, Denver, Colorado
      Hours: M–F, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
      Domestic Cases (divorce, custody, motions to modify parenting issues and modification of child support), Petitions to Seal
      Telephone: 720-865-8440
    • Denver County Court Civil Self Help Center
      City and County Building in Courtroom 368
      8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon, Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays
      (information, options, assistance with ADA accommodations, access to research materials, paper and electronic case files, and explanations of timelines, policies, procedures and filing fees associated with civil matters such as:  protection orders, name changes, money cases, small claims filings and evictions.)
    • Denver Probate Court 1437 Bannock Street, Room 368, Denver, Colorado
      Telephone: 720-865-8746
      Hours: M–F, 8a.m.–4 p.m.
      Guardianships (adult and minor), Conservatorships (adult and minor)
      Decedent Estates
    • Denver Juvenile Court
      *in progress—more information coming soon
    • 4th Judicial District (El Paso and Teller Counties)
      El Paso County Combined Court
      270 S Tejon, Colorado Springs, CO 80901
      Hours: M–F, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
    • 6th Judicial District (Archuleta, La Plata, and San Juan Counties)
      La Plata County Combined Court
      1060 E 2nd Avenue, Durango, CO 81301
      Telephone: 970-247-2304
      Hours: M–F. 1–4 p.m. (by appointment only)
    • 7th Judicial District (Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel Counties)
      Montrose County Justice Center
      1200 N Grand Avenue
      Montrose, CO 81404
      Telephone: 970-252-4312
      Hours: TBD
    • Delta Combined Courts
      501 Palmer Street #338
      Delta, Co 81416
      Telephone: 970-339-2051
      Hours: TBD
    • Contact the clerk’s office for hours or appointments in the following:
      Ouray County: 970-325-4405
      San Miguel County: 970-369-3300
      Gunnison County: 970-641-3500
    • 10th Judicial District (Pueblo County)
      Pueblo Combined Court
      320 W 10th Street
      Pueblo, CO 81003
      Telephone: 719-583-7000
      Hours: M, W, F 9 a.m.–noon & 1 p.m.–4 p.m. (by appointment only)
    • 11th Judicial District (Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, and Park Counties)
      Chaffee County Combined Court
      PO Box 279
      Salida, CO 81201
      Telephone: 719-539-2561, ext. 234
      Hours: Wednesday 1–5 p.m., Thursday & Friday 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
    • 12th Judicial District (Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Mineral, Rio Grande, and Saguache)
      Alamosa County Combined Courts
      702 Fourth St.
      Alamosa, CO 81101
      Hours: TBD
    • 17th Judicial District (Adams and Broomfield Counties)
      Adams Combined Courts
      1100 Judicial Center Drive
      Brighton, CO 80601
      Hours: M–F 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
    • 18th Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln Counties)
      Arapahoe District Court
      7325 S Potomac Street
      Centennial, CO 80112
      Hours: M–F 8 a.m.–noon & 1–4 p.m.
    • Douglas County
      Telephone: 720-437-6200
      Hours: T & W 8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
      Domestic Only: F 8:30 a.m.–noon
    • 21st Judicial District (Mesa County)
      Mesa Combined Court
      125 N Spruce Street, Grand Junction, CO 81501
      Telephone: 970-257-8764
      M–F (morning hours by appointment only) and 1:30 –4 p.m. (walk-ins)
    • 22nd Judicial District (Dolores and Montezuma Counties)
      Montezuma County Court
      601 N Mildred Road, Cortez, CO 81321
      Telephone: 970-564-5029
      Hours: M–F 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
  • Clinics:
    There are many free and or otherwise very low-cost legal clinics available in Denver and throughout Colorado for Colorado residents. Some of the clinics offer one-on-one help while others are more group-oriented. Many are available in Spanish, or otherwise have translators available at the clinic. Visit for more informatin.


On-line Legal Information


  • Court forms: The Colorado Courts provides a variety of court forms (divorce, protection orders, custody, guardianship, conservatorship, and others) on their website.
  • Other court self-help information: The Colorado Courts has information on many topics (restitution, small claims, family court facilitators, and other information) on their website.
  • Colorado Legal Services on-line information: Some of the information includes general information on legal topics, as well as, ways to fill out court forms on-line. Visit and click on “Public Resources”.
  • Colorado Bar Association: The Legal Resources section of the CBA website contains a wide variety of resources for the public.


I want to see if my attorney is licensed to practice in Colorado



I have a fee dispute with my lawyer.



I want to file a complaint against an attorney.



I want to file a complaint about a judge.