This tablet is the Property of the State of Colorado. Log House from Colorado’s First Designated Territorial Capital, at Colorado City (now a part of Colorado Springs). This log house was built in 1859. The First Legislative Assembly in Denver in 1861 named Colorado City the Capital. The 2nd Assembly met there in 1862. This is the only remaining building associated with that meeting.
The Colorado Lawyer thanks the Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, and the Colorado Historical Society (10027947) for the use of their photographs.
October 2009 Issue || Cover Photo Gallery