- Maintain civility at all times. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may. Differences of opinion are acceptable and expected; do not let those differences cross the line into personal attack.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a Discussion List message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Stay on topic. This listserv is specifically intended for the Tax Law Section.
- Advertising and solicitations for business are strictly prohibited.
- Use caution when discussing people or products. Information posted on the list is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
Discussion List Etiquette
- Make sure everyone on the list knows who is sending the message. Your full name and email address should be visible.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting, and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send a message to the entire list only when it contains information from which everyone can benefit. If you are looking for particular information that may not be appropriate to share, invite an offline contact or consult.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals—not to the entire list.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me”, through the list. Instead, follow the directions at the bottom of each message generated by the list.
- Understand “reply to” a post will be sent to the entire list (all subscribers will receive a copy of the reply). If you want to reply only to a single individual, “forward” the message then manually insert the email address of the individual you want to reply to.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says “Long Message.”
- When creating your “out of office” automatic reply, ensure the subject line of your auto-reply email contains one of the following phrases: “Out of Office” or “Auto Reply.” This will avoid unnecessary posts to the entire list.
- Do not forward or share list strings of this listserv outside of this group without the consent of those who posted on the string. At the same time, post on the assumption that whatever you put on the list will be seen far and wide. All exchanges are public domain.
The Legal Stuff
This discussion list is provided as a service of Colorado Bar Association. The Colorado Bar Association is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. The Colorado Bar Association disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by Colorado Bar Association or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall Colorado Bar Association or any individual list member be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this list.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Colorado Bar Association and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares or markets; allocation of clients or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of clients or suppliers.
With regard to any inquiries about what other lawyers charge for their services, please note that there can be no discussion on the listserv relating to: current or future billing rates, fair profit, billing or fee procedures, or terms of credit. The Tax Law listserv is subject to §5 of the FTCA, along with applicable federal and state antitrust laws. Consider offline contact or consult.
Colorado Bar Association does not actively monitor the list for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the Colorado Bar Association’s attention, the Colorado Bar Association will take all appropriate action.
The Colorado Bar Association reserves the right to terminate access by any user who does not abide by these guidelines.