The Eighteenth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Dec. 10, 2018, at the Arapahoe County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of district judge for the Eighteenth Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln counties). The vacancy will be created by the voters’ decision not to retain the Hon. Phillip L. Douglass. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 8, 2019.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Eighteenth Judicial District at the time of investiture and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The current annual salary for this position is $168,202. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice William W. Hood III, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Shaun Clark, 7325 S. Potomac St., Centennial, CO 80112. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The completed application must be e-mailed to the address listed in the instructions below no later than 4 p.m. Nov. 30, 2018. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. Nov. 23, 2018.
The members of the nominating commission for the Eighteenth Judicial District are: Candace Figa and Adelita DeHerrera of Aurora; Stanton Dodge of Castle Rock; Delford Philips of Denver; Christopher Richardson of Elizabeth; and Michael Yowell of Hugo.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
- Adelita DeHerrera, 2000 16th St., Denver, CO 80202
- Stanton Dodge, 100 Inverness Terrace East, Englewood, CO 80112
- Candace Figa, 6400 S. Fiddlers Green Cir., #1000, Greenwood Village, CO 80111
- Delford Philips, 2150 S. Cherry St., Denver, CO 80222
- Christopher Richardson, P.O. Box 67, Elizabeth, CO 80107
- Michael Yowell, 103 3rd Avenue, Hugo, CO 80821
This commission currently has one vacancy.
This information is provided as an e-mail service of the Colorado State Judicial Department, Office of State Court Administrator, 1300 Broadway, Suite 1200, Denver, CO 80203. To discontinue this service or update your e-mail address, please respond to this message with your name, contact information and any comments.
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
NEW INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website athttp://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
2. Your application materials should be prepared in the following manner:
The application should be saved as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format. The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
You must submit the names of not fewer than three nor more than five individuals from whom you are requesting a letter of reference. It is preferred that reference letters are included with your application submission. If they are submitted directly by the author, they should be submitted by email as described below in paragraph 3. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted by the filing deadline listed in paragraph 4.
3. Your application materials compiled as outlined above should be sent via email with your name and 18th Judicial District in the subject line with your materials attached as outlined above no later than 4 p.m. on November 30, 2018 to the following email address:
**you should receive an automatic response to your email submission. If you do not, please call Nikky at the number below to confirm receipt.
4. Your application must be received no later than: 4 p.m. on November 30, 2018.
5. Call Nikky in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5175.