FAQs For the Public

I need to talk to a lawyer.

The CBA is a professional organization for attorneys. We do not have attorneys on staff and we can’t offer the public and legal advice. You can use our online directory to look for an attorney.

I need help finding a lawyer

While we do not offer legal referrals, you can use our online directory to look for an attorney in your area. You can also search by practice type and for attorneys who offer alternative fee arrangements.

I need to file a complaint against an attorney

Visit the Colorado Supreme Court's Office of Attorney Regulation's webpage at coloradosupremecourt.com/regulation/regulation.asp


My attorney won't return my phone calls-what can I do about it?
I need to file a complaint about my attorney.

You can call the Office of Attorney Regulation at 303-893-8121. They will help you work out a solution with your lawyer. Or visit them online at coloradosupremecourt.com/regulation/regulation.asp.

Help, I need a lawyer! Whom do you recommend?

The CBA is not in the position to make individual attorney referrals. You may want to use the CBA's online directory Find-a-Lawyer.


How do I find out if a particular attorney is licensed to practice law in Colorado?

Colorado Attorney Registration should have that information for you. Call them at
303-928-7800. Or visit them their website at 


Where can I find an attorney who is licensed to practice in Colorado and in another jurisdiction?

You can call the bar association of the other jurisdiction or you can find that information on the CBA's online directory Find-a-Lawyer.


Where can I get free/inexpensive legal advice?

If you are looking for an answer to a simple legal question and just want a quick answer, try Law Line 9. The Denver Bar Association runs this program in conjunction with Channel 9. Attorneys are available to answer your questions on Wednesday nights, call 303-698-0999. The Denver Bar Association holds various clinics on different topics. Click here to learn more. 

To find out about the requirements for qualifying for a free attorney, visit the CBA’s page on “What to do if you need a Lawyer.”

You can also visit our For the Public page to find information on legal clinics, access legal brochures, and find information on how to hire a lawyer.

 Can non-attorneys join the CBA?

Yes, as Associate members or Patrons of the Bar. Law students are also encouraged to become members at no cost. 

An Associate member is one who, under the supervision of a practicing attorney, is directly involved in assisting that attorney and/or other attorneys on a day-to-day basis with the delivery of legal services. Paralegals, legal assistants, law office administrators, legal secretaries, and court personnel are all eligible for Associate membership. All Associate members are required to have one of their supervising attorneys, who must also be a current CBA member, sponsor their annual renewal. Associate members have the right to belong to sections, committees, or forum committees, but may not vote or hold office. Dues are fixed by the CBA Board of Governors, and are currently set at $145.

A Patron of the Bar is defined as a non-lawyer who, or an organization that, provides ancillary goods or services to attorneys or the legal profession. Patrons include but are not limited to Mediators, Certified Public Accountants, Private Investigators, Court Reporters, Educators, Consultants, Vendors, Companies, and Corporate Associations. While the dues are set by the CBA Membership Services Committee, Patron status is not a membership category, and Patrons may not refer to themselves as "members" of the CBA. The appropriate designation is "Patron of the Bar." Current dues are $280.


How many attorneys are licensed to practice in Colorado?

The Colorado Bar Association has about 18,500 members but that does not represent all of the licensed attorneys in Colorado. For those figures, call Attorney Registration at 303-866-6554.