FAQs for Lawyers

Do I have to be a member of the CBA?

No membership in the CBA is completely voluntary.

Who takes care of bar licenses/registration?

Office of Attorney Registration at the Colorado Supreme Court.

I just moved to Colorado and would like to pay my Bar Registration Dues

Colorado does not have a mandatory bar association so there is a difference between your Colorado bar registration fees/dues and Colorado Bar Association membership dues.

Registration fees are paid to the Office of Attorney Registration at the Colorado Supreme Court and are typically due in February of each year. The CBA has membership dues and are not payable until July 1st of each year.  To pay your bar registration fees, call the Office of Attorney Registration at the Colorado Supreme Court – (303) 928-7800.  You can also visit the Colorado Supreme Court page on registrations.  To pay your CBA membership dues or join the CBA go to www.cobar.org/My-Cobar.


How do I find out if I’m current with the State Bar?

To answer this, you really need to check if you are current with the Colorado Supreme Court and you bar registration fees. This is what allows you to practice law in Colorado.

If you need to find out if your membership dues are current with the CBA, simply login to www.cobar.org and go to Mycobar to find out if your dues are current or call our offices at (303)860-1115.


I need information on opening a practice and/or getting licensed

Visit the Colorado Supreme Court page on registrations.


How many CLE credits do I have? What are the CLE requirements in Colorado?

The CLE Board of the Colorado Supreme Court keeps track of this information. You must earn forty-five general credits over a compliance period of three calendar years. Seven of these credits must be in legal ethics. Credits are units of value assigned to a qualifying activity usually on the basis of the time you are involved in the activity. Visit their website for complete information.

How do I become licensed to practice law in Colorado? Is there reciprocity with other states, or will I have to take the Colorado bar exam?

For the answers to these questions, you will need to contact the State Board of Law Examiners, an office of the Colorado Supreme Court. Bar Examination information can be found online here or you can reach their offices from directly.

Ralph L. Carr Judicial Center
Colorado Supreme Court
Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel
1300 Broadway, Suite 500
Denver, CO 80203

Telephone: (303) 457-5800
Or toll free: (877) 888-1370

If I change my address with the CBA, does this also get changed at Attorney Registration?

No.  You will need to call the Office of Attorney Regulation to get your attorney registration information changed.

Where is the CBA located?

1290 Broadway, Suite 1700. Denver, CO 80203


How do I add or change a section, committee, or local bar?

You can make these changes online through the Mycobar page on the CBA website or you can email [email protected].

I need to register for a program or change/cancel my registration for a program and it’s today.

Unfortunately, you cannot register for a program same day. However, you are welcome to go to the venue and see if any seats have opened up due to last minute cancellations and/or no shows.  Usually seats become available but there is no guarantee.  If you wish to try, we would suggest you get there early to have the best opportunity of getting a seat.  Keep in mind that if you do get in, there is no guarantee that a lunch will be available.

IF you wish to cancel your registration, you must do so at least 24 hours before the program starts if a meal has been ordered for you. If meals have been ordered, then you will not get a refund if you are cancelling less than 24 hours ahead of time. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact your Section liaison. You can find contact information on www.cobar.org/sections.


How do I apply for CLE Credit?

Visit cletrack.com and enter in the code your program coordinator sent out prior to the event, or found on the affidavit at the event


Call the CBA Offices

CBA staff is available Monday - Thursday from 9am to 5pm and Friday from 9am to 4:30pm.
Look on our Staff Directory to get specific assistance
or call 303.860.1115 or toll free in Colorado 800.332.6736